Health & Safety, One of Our Priorities
One of the most important priorities for the British School of Bucharest remains the well-being and health & safety of all members of the community. Our team has planned accordingly for everyone to be as safe as possible on our campus.
The measures taken by the BSB staff are in line with the regulations released by the Authorities and prepared from the beginning of the new Academic Year and continuously updated:
- Four levels of cleaning protocol
- Signs around the campus about how to protect from COVID-19
- Placement of sanitiser devices, temperature scanners, disinfectant mats etc.
- iPads and Chromebooks distributed to students
- Special safety measures for transportation and School lunch
- Installed temperature scanners and turnstiles at entry points, with a medical team that is at the entry point to see children on arrival. More than that, there are additional hands-free door openers (elbow panel plates or door openers and self-closing mechanisms).
- Restricted access to parents and visitors on campus. Everyone entering the School grounds wears a mask (except EYFS children and infants) and sanitise their hands immediately upon entry at strategically positioned stations.
- Strict protocols and procedures in the event of confirmed cases among students or staff and their families.
- A team of medical staff is ready in two locations around the campus. The medical staff have access to personal protective equipment if needed to deal with someone presenting with symptoms of COVID-19 and have been trained how to respond and deal with suspected cases.
- Expansion of the team of teachers with eight more members to maintain our impressive pupil to teacher ratio, adapted to the current context.
Moreover, the British School of Bucharest has developed clear health guidelines to ensure the effectiveness of protocols and there are 13 hours each day spent on cleaning measures.
There are four BSB levels of cleaning on campus:
- Standard Sanitation Cleaning
- Regular Disinfection
- Deep Disinfection (by steaming)
- Rapid Response Infection Control
The distancing between desks is in accordance with regulations for all rooms and, as an added protective measure, all students in Year 1 and above wear face shields for all indoor lessons and movement in the classroom is limited. Perspex screens also are used in many rooms, as necessary, to ensure distancing. All staff and students maintain social distancing while moving around campus and during lessons.
Mixing of classes for school and after-school activities is strictly limited. Students stay in class and year group ‘zones’ throughout the day with the majority of that time in one classroom, while teachers move between classrooms. Year groups are using different entrances and there is an established order for each class to enter and leave specific buildings and the campus.
BSB follows Government guidelines about social distancing and safety regulations on campus and in the classrooms. All staff, students, parents and visitors maintain social distancing while moving around campus and follow the BSB health and safety protocol.